Monday, September 8, 2008

Just Peachy

This weekend has been JUST PEACHYand I mean that literally. We bought 2 boxes(about 60lbs) of Utah peaches. Well, friday night we had Peach Mousse. Saturday morning we had pancakes topped with Sliced Peaches. That afternoon we enjoyed a Peach Smoothie. And for dessert, you guessed it, Peach Shortcake. All Saturday we Canned Peaches, made Peach Jam, and Frozen Peach Slices. Not to mention all the ones we just ate au natural. Kirt and I had never canned before and we hope to never do it again--what a chore! We netted 14 quarts and they all sealed fine so that was good. We worked for hours and I think we used every pot and bowl in the house, not to mention a whole laundry load full of rags and all the clean-up afterwards. Sticky floor, cabinets, counters, etc. I don't get why people do this. I guess if I owned an orchard and didn't want them to go to waste. Kirt, joked with me as I was whining over the work afterwards, "well, at least you learned something", I said, "yes, I learned that Costco has a pretty decent price on bottled peaches!" He agreed Ü

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yum- I love peaches! I agree, canning is a lot of work. I did 10 pints of dill beans 2 weeks ago and it took me most of the day. I love them but am not sure that I love them that much.

Lori said...

See, I just learn from everyone else how much work canning is, and not worth it lots of people say, so I just avoid it! But you're right, at least you can say you know how to do it now. :)

Julie said...

I am sitting here laughing at how true that is!!! I have tried canning a few times, and half the bottles don't seal for me. Then, I never want to eat them because it was so much darn work!

Looks like you have been having a very fun summer! And I vote for the white picture :)

Lori ~ LL-K said...

Ok. Too funny... And here I'm canning chicken as I write this blog comment. It is a lot of work but there are a lot of benefits to it too, not to mention the kids love to help. But I would have to agree peaches are one of the messiest things to can. Well, at least you can say you did it right?!?

Erin said...

Sounds so yummy! I've never tried canning peaches, after reading your blog I may never try it!